Our Montessori Materials List for Preschool (2.5-5 years) is part of our Montessori inspired homeschool plan for this coming school year. This is a list of Montessori materials I compiled from my NAMC manuals from the Early Childhood Montessori Curriculum. Please note that this is a fluid list that may change as time goes on and with more research.
In this post, is the list of Montessori materials possibly needed for 2.5-5 years. Please also take note that many of these materials will be introduced during the 3-4 year age range and can continue to be utilized until at least age 6 or 7.
A few materials can even be used beyond that age. Take into consideration that each child is different and will learn at their own unique pace or in their own style. This is only a suggested guide that you can use for inspiration as you wish. Enjoy!
My Thoughts on the Montessori Method at Home
What I have learned as a Montessori inspired homeschooling mama, is that the Montessori method doesn't have an easy to follow guide for home use. It takes years of research (reading) and implementation to learn how to incorporate Montessori into the home, as well as when (what age and sensitive period) to introduce a Montessori material. However, I have learned that the easiest place to begin with Montessori in the home, is with practical life skills.
I made this list for myself to calculate the costs and also weigh out my options for DIY materials. That way I can spread out the cost of these materials and mix in a few DIY materials to help save money. I have Amazon Prime and this allows me to have free shipping, most of the time. So I linked most of the new material costs to Amazon.
You can also check out montessorialbum.com for a comprehensive list of prices for materials. I personally buy ~85% of my materials from the Facebook group called, Montessori Materials for Sale for half the cost new. It's important to remember that there are many options to help make Montessori homeschooling education affordable for home use.
Please note, that Montessori materials are not always necessary for using the Montessori method at home. These are only suggestions and a list I created for our homeschool. I thought I would share it with my readers, in case you find it helpful to use also.
Also, research a material before you buy it to make sure you know how to properly introduce the material and will actually use it in your home.
- Matching Cards
- Sand Tray - DIY Option
- Mystery Bag(s) - DIY Option
- Sound Pouches for Each Letter - DIY Option
- Language Objects - DIY Option - These can be collected for later (5-6 years).
- Metal Insets - DIY Option
- Sandpaper Letters - DIY Option
- 3-part Cards
- 4 Cylinder Blocks
- Pink Tower - DIY Option
- Brown Stair
- Red Rods - DIY Option
- Knobless Cylinders
- Sound Cylinders - DIY Option and DIY Option
- Smelling Bottles – DIY Option
- Touch Boards – DIY Option
- Fabrics – DIY Option
- Baric Tablets
- Thermic Tablets
- Color Tablets (Color Box 2) - DIY Option
- Number Rods (red/blue) - DIY Option
- Sandpaper Numbers - DIY Option
- Spindle Boxes - DIY Option and DIY Option and DIY Option
- Numbers & Counters - DIY Option
- Bead Stair
- Table Top Number Rods
Culture & Science Materials
- Sandpaper Globe
- Colored Globe - DIY Option and DIY Option
- Continent Geography Folders/Boxes
- Land & Water Forms with Sandpaper Cards - DIY Option and DIY Option
- Calendar and Season Cards - DIY
- Botany Puzzles and Cards
- Zoology Puzzles and Cards
Practical Life Materials
Most of these practical life items can be found at either IKEA or at your local Goodwill. For ideas of all the Montessori materials that can be found at IKEA, please visit - Montessori at IKEA. A few of the more specialty items can be found at Montessori Services.
Also in amazon you will find a huge variety of Montessori-inspired materials that will be useful at home.
- Child Sized Chair and Table
- Small Tray for Child to Carry
- Baskets for Storage
- Shelf at Child’s Height
- Child-sized Step Stools
- Child-sized Kitchen Tools
- Bowls for Transfer Activities
- Child-sized Garden Tools
- Polish for Wood, Metal, Leather Work
- Child-sized Cleaning Supplies
- “Safe” House Plant for Child
- Tweezers, Tongs, Eyedroppers for Transfer Activities
- Threading & Bead Sequencing Work Materials (Pre-sewing)
Please enjoy reading more about how we incorporate the Montessori method into our home ~
- Let’s Define the Montessori Method
- 100+ Montessori Inspired Activities for Toddlers
- 15 Montessori Toddler Shelf Themes
- 100+ Practical Life Skills with Free Printable Check List
- Tips for Montessori Spaces at Home
- Montessori Materials List for Preschool at Home
- Our Montessori Inspired Homeschool Plan for Preschool (3-4 Years Old)
- Montessori Homeschool Organization